URGENT: Please Tell Congress to Allow Encryption Export

Ian Farquhar ianf at simple.sydney.sgi.com
Thu Aug 4 15:35:12 PDT 1994

On Aug 4, 10:08am, Chris Corpuz wrote:
> The House and Senate Intelligence Committees, the only watchdogs for
> the NSA, tend to follow the agency's wishes when they wave the magic
> "national security" wand.

Reading this, I was reminded that I have rarely seen any mention on the net
as to one of the reasons why the "national security" wand is so effective with
many politicians.

Imagine this: you're a politician.  If you're a US politician in particular
you will be correctly told that you are, by virtue of your position, a target
for a lot of "extremeist" groups and terrorism.  You will then be told that one
of the main weapons on your side is the tremendous security infrastructure
which has been constructed to intercept and prevent acts of violence against
the government (ie. you).  They'd probably then drop little pieces of
information - strictly secret of course to make sure that you treated them
with the proper respect - which would leave you with the impression that
these guys do such a good job of protecting YOUR ass.  They might even have
some intelligence showing your name on some documents from some politicial
organisation with a violent tendencies, and who wouldn't be a bit
worried after that?

After this little speech, you'll have had the presence and influence of
the various security services entwined with the protection of your very
life.  It's been personalised for you in a very intimate way, and for most
politicians, this is works.  It's always worth bearing in mind when you see
one of them do an abrupt 180 degree turn after a visit from the spooks.

								Ian.