CIA & FBI, a marriage made in ___?

Black Unicorn unicorn at access.digex.net
Sat Apr 30 01:37:14 PDT 1994

123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012

Mr. Weber comments:

>From: Black Unicorn

>Uni: "The hinge question is what I, or you, mean by "concepts of law."

>What I understand by concepts of law is "methods of coercion &
>constraint"

>Uni: ". . . In my framework, I feel it is consistent to embrace the
>constitution and its doctrine while still resisting regulation."

>In my earlier statement, that "I'm not seeing the consistency in
>embracing the concepts of the law, while questioning the regulation of
>crypto through law enforcement",  I was contrasting endorsing the use
>of coercion while at the same time resisting its use.

Coercion is a tricky concept.  See below.

>In the framework of a lot of legislators, they would appear to embrace
>the doctrine of the Constitution while yet substituting mindless
>coercion for intelligent understanding of the intent of the
>Constitution. I don't think that it was the intent of this document to
>establish a more perfect government by those means.

No argument here.

>What is regulation, but the threat of the use of coercion & constraint?
>What is a domestic policy which does not involve regulation?
>That which is being regulated must appear to require this from having a
>potential for crime, in which case isn't this why it would be
>classified as a "crime problem" needing "political attention through
>law enforcement" (from their perspective)?

Consider this example, of which I am fond.

1>

A state, call it Indinois, employs a program in prisons.  A given
robbery convict is consistently sentenced to 5 years.
After 2, the robber is given the option of taking an experimental
vaccine in exchange for the waiver of her remaining sentence.

Coercion?

2>

Indinois sentences robbers to 2 years, but towards the end of the
sentence the warden gives the robber a choice.  Either take the vaccine
or get 3 years slapped on the sentence.

Coercion?

Why?  The robber is no better or worse off.  Is it merely the idea that
the robber was "tricked" in the second example that makes coercion?  Or
are both coercion?

I begin to shy away of calling all regulation coercive for this reason.
It gets to the point where incentive and coercion are indistinguishable.
The function of government becomes impossible.  The slippery slope to
complete anarchy (one which I prefer not to follow ALL the way down)
lies in this direction.

I find interference in the market offensive in general.  I accept
regulation only in the instance that a market failure has occurred, and
then grudgingly.  Large number problems, gaps in the availability of
information, holdout problems or too few participants in the market are
about the only situations that warrant regulation in my mind.  For a
detailed examination of permissible market regulation with which I agree
see Stewart, Krier & Manell, _Environmental Law and Policy_ (3d ed.).

The Supreme Court draws the line today such:

Most regulation today takes the form of conditional grants of funds to
states under the federal spending power.  This is how the national
minimum drinking age and the national speed limits are enforced at the
federal level.  Provided the "strings" attached to the grant are
"related to the federal interest in [the] particular national project[]
or program[]" the grant seeks to promote, they are constitutional.
_South Dakota v. Dole_, 483 U.S. 203 (1987).

I tend to find these sorts of incentives acceptable provided the grant
of funds is not craftily calculated to make functioning competitively
impossible, which today they often are.  Clipper is a prime example.
It's not intended merely to incentivize makers to accept Clipper, but to
drive other systems out of the market.  To me this is offensive
regulation.  Were all systems equal, no export regulations, no threat of
removal, a government subsidized production of the system the federal
government would have employed is, when properly legislated (another
question entirely), legitimate "regulation" in my view when the intent
is not to throttle the life out of the offending market participants.  I
might add that I don't think the crypto market needs regulation because
I don't feel there is a market failure.  Instead the government is
trying to assert that an externality (one of national security) exists
which makes regulation a necessity.  I treat this topic and questions of
coercion through threat of withdrawal of government largess in more
detail in the legal note I posted to the list some months ago.  Anyone
interested in my ramblings who missed the posting is free to mail and
ask for a copy.

The constitutional requirement and the need for some coherent policy to
be attached to grants explains why the Clipper and Digitel projects are
hefted under the umbrella of the crime crisis.  It allows huge federal
grants (bigger now that the crime bill is law) to be "stringed" and
these projects (Clipper etc.) to be "voluntarily encouraged" by the
threat of withdrawal of government largess.  (In this instance the crime
bill grants).

In the words of Judge Stone, "...threat of loss and not hope of gain is
the essence of economic coercion."  _United States v. Butler_, 297 U.S.
1 (1936).  Unfortunately this is often taken to mean that as long as you
frame the regulation as a conditional grant, it is constitutional.  In
practice this is silly.  Any regulation can be drawn either way.  The
core question should revolve around the definition of "threat of loss."
What are the basic entitlements that apply?  What assumptions are made
about what a given person/corporation is entitled to and what is the
baseline of entitlement that lies beyond the reach of the federal
government?  In my view this line lies close to the right to a free
market, and one free of government monopoly.

For a detailed analysis of coercion See, Nozick, Coercion, in
Philosophy, Science and Method (S. Morgenbesser ed. 1969); Zimmerman,
Coercive Wage Offers, 10 Phil. & Pub. Aff. 121 (1981).

>Blanc

- -uni- (Dark)