Gee...

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at crl.com
Fri Apr 29 08:39:05 PDT 1994

C'punks,

On Fri, 29 Apr 1994, Bob Snyder wrote:

> At  8:08 AM 4/28/94 -0700, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>
> >Do you think your fastidious compliance with the law will keep them from
> >branding you a criminal, anyway?  Wake up.
>
> Errr, no, but they'd still need to prove it.  Generally, it is easier to
> get a guilty verdict when you have committed a crime than when you have
> not.

(1)  Tell that to the people who have had their assets seized and sold
     without any criminal charges ever being made.

(2)  "Proof" and "guilty" are legal words of art.  Stop looking at them
     in some ultimate sense of right and wrong.  Everyday, proof that
     isn't proof is used to find people guilty who are not guilty.

> . . .  I just think that people should work
> to change the current government policy through legal means before
> resorting to illegal measures.

No arguement there, *if* it works.

> I think we are seeing some sucess in this
> area, with the hearings on Clipper and the push by at least one legislator
> to ease the cryptography export restrictions.

There are 435(?) legislators.

> We are getting reasonable
> press coverage, which is growing.  Just like you only heard a bit about the
> Internet a few years ago, but now you can't pick up a newspaper or magazine
> without some mention of the Internet, you are starting to see articles
> about Cryptography (like the WSJ article, or NPR's piece).

Press coverage is . . . "nice" but is it stopping the Clipper?  Is it
guaranteeing strong crypto?  There are those among us who are taking
actions that don't require winning the hearts and minds of politicians
and entrenched bureaucrats.  Would you rather wait until it is too late?

 S a n d y