Random #'s via CD-ROM?

jpp at markv.com jpp at markv.com
Thu Apr 28 19:20:55 PDT 1994

  This strikes me as another variant on the venerable 'book' cypher.
To quote Kahn (is that even close?  The guy who wrote _The Code
Breakers_.) 'What you gain in key size, you loose in key coherency.'
In general book ciphers are not very strong.  (At least thats what I
think the big boys said...)

  But, speaking of random numbers.  In Crypto '92 (or '93?) there is
this great protocol for two players (Andy and Beth say) to listen to a
poorly heard (radio) source (a low power satalite, or perhaps Radio
Free Bosnia) and extract a shared secret key -- even when an evil
opponent (Eve say) is listening with much better equipment.  This is
really a great result!  It is at least as exciting as DH key exchange
(to me).  It's strength is based on probability and information theory
and not on 'unproven' complexity theory assumtions (such as 'discrete
logrithms are hard to compute').  But -- how do we make it work on the
net?

j'
		   O I am Jay Prime Positive jpp at markv.com
1250 bit fingerprint B06229 = B8 95 E0 AF 9A A2 CD A5  89 C9 F0 FE B4 3A 2C 3F
 524 bit fingerprint 2A915D = 8A 7C B9 F2 D5 46 4D ED  66 23 F1 71 DE FF 51 48
Public keys via `finger jpp at markv.com', or via email to pgp-public-keys at io.com
Your feedback is welcome directly or via my symbol JPP on hex at sea.east.sun.com

Resist the Clipper Chip, write "I oppose Clipper" to Clipper.petition at cpsr.org