DId you ever think...

jpp at markv.com jpp at markv.com
Thu Apr 28 14:30:03 PDT 1994

> From: uri at watson.ibm.com
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:10:39 -0500 (EDT)
>
> jpp at markv.com says:
> > Wasn't there some concern on IBM's part about liability --
> > Thus the US Governments participation, including the 'secret' changes
> > to DES?
>
> Liabilities? To who and about what? Since it became a standard, the
> US Gov't assumed the responsibility...

  Oh, for instance, say liability to the banks who's electronic fund
transfers were stolen or forged.  But yeah, my understanding was that
IBM wouldn't release the cipher for general consumption unless some
Gov't would 'standardize' it and take the liability heat.

  Even the smaller 56 bit key was IBM's idea?  Why!??!?  Weren't they
in the business of making a _strong_ cipher?

j'