Directory of 'punks

Jim Sewell jims at Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM
Thu Apr 28 08:16:57 PDT 1994

<In mail Perry E. Metzger said:>

> "Jim Sewell" says:
> > With tools like a "press kit" and a directory of members we will
>
> Members of what?

I was talking about compiling a list of cypherpunk members that agreed
to be included in a directory and their occupations so we can show the
"world" that we aren't just a bunch of fanatics but rather "real folks".

If we can say... "Here's a list of 200 members of the cypherpunks mailing
list.  As you can see, we have members that are lawyers, salespeople,
commercial pilots, doctors, etc.  As you can see we are not a scattered
bunch of students with nothing better to do, as some would have you
believe, but rather a legitimate cross-section of the nation that just
happens to be a bit more knowlegable about things like clipper.

"Although not everyone in this directory agrees, the ones listed below
have agreed to attach their names to our document regarding XXXX".

... we will have a much stronger position from which to fight the not-good
things like Clipper, etc.

Alternate:  Do you think we should forget the names and such and just
compile stats as to how many Doctors, etc are on the list and simply
use that? i.e."Our group consists of 5 professors of higher education
level, 18 professional land surveyors, 9 contract laborers, and 1
computer geek from 18 different countries including Australia, India,
...."

I think this would carry much more weight with the press when we have
something to say.  Besides, I'm curious as to the makeup of the group
too.  Of course, this entire thing depends on the willingness of the
members to be included.  If such a list is built it should only have
entries for people who EXPLICITLY agreed to be included and ONLY the
information they wish to have added.

What do you think?

  		Jim

--
 Tantalus Inc.          Jim Sewell      Amateur Radio: KD4CKQ
 P.O. Box 2310          Programmer           Internet: jims at mpgn.com
 Key West, FL 33045     C-Unix-PC          Compu$erve: 71061,1027
 (305)293-8100                            PGP via email on request.
 1K-bit Fingerprint: 8E 14 68 90 37 87 EF B3  C4 CF CD 9A 3E F9 4A 73