Milgram & Authority

bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204 wcs at anchor.ho.att.com
Wed Apr 27 09:01:23 PDT 1994

Duncan writes:
> Privacy 101 - A few years ago, Rebecca Schaefer told the State of
> California where she lived.  Her killer used that information to find her
> and kill her.  Only give out your address on a need to know basis.

The San Francisco papers had a few articles a week ago about the
San Francisco police giving out somebody's address from motor-vehicle
records to her ex-boyfriend who was stalking her, as well as other
private data - he got the information several times as she moved around.
It's supposedly a misdemeanor, but of course the computers don't keep track
of who requested what data, so they don't know which cop you can't trust.

(Anybody who tries stalking me using motor vehicle records will either
wonder how I keep all my furniture in that little box, or else
have to figure out how to find my streeet address from my mailing
address, not that that's real hard...)

		Bill