DId you ever think...

Arsen Ray Arachelian rarachel at prism.poly.edu
Sun Apr 24 11:35:49 PDT 1994

It's far more likely that these rumors were started by ego-maniacs who
believe that any lock made by man and be broken by man.  Quite true
except for the problem of brute force time...

I knew of one such idiot claiming he could break any code, even PGP.  I
have never seen him able to do so.  Thems just idiots bragging the same
way that the hackers/crackers of the 80's would brag and exagerate about
their "heroic" deeds...

Of course our wonderful Government is well known for its use of the FUD
factor, so I certainly do not put it beyond their agenda, (D.Denning
on AOL mentioned that she didn't know if the IDEA cypher that PGP uses
was broken >YET< but she would comment no further. :-)  Spreading inuendoes
is probably more their style, and we all know how "Oh I think x is so"
becomes "x is so" after bouncing around from person to person...

Of course if someone doesn't trust PGP, they can take a few courses in
cryptanalysis and take a shot or two at PGP to look for holes...

:-)