cryptophone ideas

Jamie Lawrence jamiel at sybase.com
Thu Apr 21 16:58:58 PDT 1994

At  7:38 PM 04/21/94 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Peter Wayner says:
>> How hard is it to reprogram the DSP that comes with a cellular
>> phone right now? I've never opened one up. Can you just unsolder
>> a rom, read it, insert your own code for DH key exchange, add
>> some encryption, burn a new ROM and have a secure phone?
>
>You would also have to open up the base station for the cell, unsolder
>its roms, read them, insert your own code for DH key exchange, add
>some encryption, and put it back, and I suspect that the cellular
>vendor would get mad at you.
>
>Perry

Aha. here is where you can enlist the hacker community's experience.
Various phreaker types  have been reprogramming thier cellulars for
quite a while- usually to do  free calls instead of encrypted calls,
but the same ideas apply.  I don't know if anyone has done anything
with the DSPs, but there are various files floating around with the
codes to break into debug-mode and such for a while.

Check yer local underground BBS...