Remailer Musings

Anonymous mg5n+eatbfrlhjx3svmfe46trtmbabi9mq5hq5u4ynner7al at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 21 01:03:55 PDT 1994

> This illustrates my point precisely. Look at the messages on this thread
> over the past few days; questions about 'common carrier' status, legal
> questions, etc reveal that there is, in practice, more to running a
> 'full service remailer' than just setting up the software.
>
> Running multiple overseas remailers may complicate investigations and
> legal action *for now*, but I can't help feeling that this is only a
> temporary fix. [My opinion, ignore at will..]

There's the rub.  This is a case of "don't shoot the messanger".

Yes, officer, I do keep a log of all messages.  However, we do
not have the quota to keep the records for an extended period of
time.  They are deleted on a daily basis.  Yes, Sir I understand
that it takes longer than 24 hours for you to obtain a warrant.
Perhaps you can speak to the matter more directly with the
judiciary to help expedite their requirements.

You can count on my *complete* co-operation, however, you must
understand that their are liability issues which must be
addressed.  We stand advised that we can not release any
information without the appropriate paper work.  I'm sure you
understand that. ;-)

'Nuf said??