Milgram & Authority (+Ethics)

Perry E. Metzger perry at snark.imsi.com
Wed Apr 20 16:18:29 PDT 1994

Jeff Davis says:
> I am semi-retired, and was quitely living out my life in
> Wyoming until John Perry Barlow declared revolutionary war in cyberspace.

I was unaware that a revolutionary war was in progress. Perhaps
everyone is using silenced guns. I was especially unaware that John
Perry Barlow had declared one -- presumably he intends to personally
secede from the union? -- but doubtless YOU have heard such, Mr.
Davis. Naturally, with your privileged status as an EFF member, (which
you claim to have taken great steps to authenticate to the press) you
get all sorts of things, like license to kill, full diplomatic
immunity, a license to carry fully automatic variables, and status as
a reserve unix kernel (C2 security clearance) in the cyberspace
revolutionary militia.

However, some of the rest of us are unaware that John Perry Barlow has
declared a revolutionary war in cyberspace -- possibly even Barlow is
unaware of the fact -- and are doomed to remain covered with the
shroud of ignorance. Have you considered that we might be happier that
way?

Perry