Side question on money laundering...

Mats Bergstrom matsb at sos.sll.se
Wed Apr 20 04:41:51 PDT 1994

On Wed, 20 Apr 1994 wcs at anchor.ho.att.com wrote:

> I suspect purely legal Internet gambling would either have to go off-shore,
> or convince governments not to be hypocritical about their monopolies.

Perhaps not yet on the Internet but there sure is a lot of
ascii-interfaced net.gambling going on internationally. The best example
might be the currency market. The major Swedish telecom supplier Telia
(until some years ago a monopoly like Ma Bell) recently entered a two-
page ad in the biggest papers boasting of their bandwidth capacity ("we
already have what the US is planning"). As an example of the usefulness
of this technical superiority they announced that Stockholm players on
the fast-moving net.markets had some 3-second lead in certain areas that
could mean a lot of opportunities.

//mb