Money Laundering thru Roulette

David Rees rees at cs.bu.edu
Tue Apr 19 10:56:33 PDT 1994

   As several people asked for the reference to the guy who
perfected a system for playing roulette in which one "neither wins or
loses", he was Marcel Duchamp and it happened in 1924.  This is on page 126
 of the Eudaemonic Pie by Thomas Bass.
   Of course, as several people pointed out, there are a large number
of ways to break even in roulette.  So if you have bad money that
needs laundered, why not bet evenly on red and black each time.  Or even
easier, buy 10,000 dollars worth of chips and then cash them in immediately.
New and different money on demand.
   I get the impression though that I am missing something in the
discussion since no one has mentioned something like this and that merely
replacing the money isn't the objective here.
--Dave