BEST Inc.

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. reagle at umbc.edu
Tue Apr 19 07:16:34 PDT 1994

On Mon, 18 Apr 1994 SGT=DARREN=S.=HARLOW%ISB%MCTSSA at nwsfallbrook3.nwac.sea06.navy.mil wrote:

> 	I was in a BEST store yesterday, and attempted to pay by check.  They
> asked for ID to verify the check and when I handed them my military ID, they
> asked for my driver's license instead.  I gave them my driver's license and
> they used it and the magnetic strip on the back of it to verify my check.  I
> noticed on their computer screen that it had all of my info, as in birthdate,
> address, driver's license number, the routing number for the bank I am with,
> and my checking account number.  They also have notices up that say they
> index everything by your phone number.  I asked them what they were using all
> of this information for, and they said for their marketing purposes.  I was
> so ticked off that I took back the check, went to an ATM, pulled out cash,
> and went back and purchased the item with cash.  I had to buy the item there,
> because nowhere else in the local area did they have the item.  Just
> something to keep in mind.

	I used to work at Best, and as far as I could tell it is so that
they may send the fliers to your house.  _They_ are so dogged because the
higher ups require each store to get so many new 'data sets', so we used
to enter in dummy values, addresses of friends/relatives or ourselves
multiple times.
	Somebody at the Corp level knew I'm sure, but it kept the
managers off the sales/register people's backs.

Regards,            |                       *finger for UMBC:ACM
info* Joseph M. Reagle Jr.| "I do not know such stuff!"
reagle at gl.umbc.edu  | 		- Chew, Blade Runner.