Warrantless searches -- A sign of things to come?

Jim Sewell - KD4CKQ jims at Central.KeyWest.MPGN.COM
Mon Apr 18 07:30:44 PDT 1994

Slightly reformatted, but the content is faithfully reproduced:

<My computer told me that GERSTEIN at SCSUD.CTSTATEU.EDU said:>

> On Sun, 17 Apr 94 13:39:39
> paul at hawksbill.sprintmrn.com (Paul Ferguson) wrote:
>
> >A Page 1 story in The Washington Post Sunday (94.04.17) reads,
... [warrantless searches of housing project] ...
> Anyway, the point is, these people aren't safe in their own homes.

  Then the cops need to sting/watch these guys until they catch them
  committing these felonies and throw them in jail, not invade the
  privacy of a citizen cuz they think it's right.  If the cops were
  watching that neighborhood then the child couldn't have been sniped
  without the shooter getting bagged.  It is a poorly chosen solution to
  the police force's inability to do their job well due to fear and/or
  underfunding.

> Slightly related is the fact that I live on my school's campus in the
> residence halls. If the resident advisors feel there is probable cause for
> something and decides to do a room search, I can do nothing about it

> BUT NO WARRANT WAS SERVED! Does that mean I can get the ACLU up the school's
> ass?  If the school says they can do that because I pay to live on their
> property, then why can't the CHA do what they want?

  Ah, but you see, you moved into the dorm (and signed a paper) saying you
  would follow the school's rules.  These rules included uncool search and
  seizure and are allowed since you are not in a home... it's similar to a
  hotel's right to do room service when you're out at the pool.

  The people of CHA didn't forfeit the right to being secure in their homes.
  (Apartments count as a home) They moved in with no such waivers.  Therefore
  they are afforded the same rights as a person with a house or living in an
  apartment owned by, say you.  They may fall under tenant / landlord laws,
  but they are very protective of the tenant.  EX:  Unless there is imminent
  damage to the place (broken water pipe or such) then the landlord must give
  2 days notice to do an inspection or pest control or whatever he thinks he
  needs in there for.

  Take care
	 Jim

--
   Tantalus Inc.        Bringing people together     Jim Sewell-KD4CKQ
2407 N. Roosevelt Blvd.   to have a little fun.  Internet: jims at mpgn.com