(fwd) If Crippler is a Done Deal, What Next?

Blanc Weber blancw at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 14 21:22:40 PDT 1994

From: Timothy C. May

.............since the Digital Telephony Bill and the
initial appearance of the key escrow idea, I have targeted my efforts
not at short-term things like Clipper, but instead at doing things to
make sure that our ability to communicate freely with whomever and in
whatever form we choose is not restricted.

My favored approach is technological, not political.

Short-term things like Clipper, long-term things like the loss of
personal control (as in self-determination).

In the degradation of the concept of personal control, making up one's
life as though it were one's own project becomes a foreign idea, with
communication being but one aspect of the total sacrifice.    It
creates the situation of individuals seeing the relationship between
themselves and external regulation as a natural constant, rather than
as an exceptional & artificial invention; your initiative is always
subject to the review of self-appointed superiors, and you can never
think of managing your own affairs independently (or express yourself
freely) using your own judgement, because there always exists the
potential that you might affect others in some way.

There is always a clash between restrictive attempts against, and the
ability of technological progress to "empower", the individual.

PGP  (Pretty Good Presentation) of your ideas.

Blanc