Code review is requested

anonymous at extropia.wimsey.com anonymous at extropia.wimsey.com
Mon Apr 11 15:52:00 PDT 1994

>> 3) There may be other RNG's in existence which are accessed in a
>> different way, or have different IO drivers. If you have knowledge of
>> such RNG's please post the info to the cypherpunks mailing list.
>
>In Cryptosystems Journal, published by Tony S Patti, Volume 2 Number 2
>is a description, circuit board layouts, parts list, etc. for Ranger
>hardware RNG. It produced 6,750 bits per second into the parallel port of a
>standard PC. The author says that you can build a Ranger for less than $40
>worth of parts.
>
>Cryptosystyems Journal
>P.O. Box 188
>Newtown PA 18940-0188
>
>I have not seen any reviews of this device, but it has been arround for a
>while, and may have been covered before I got interested in the field.

Could not the operating systems' IO driver be used for the interface
to the parallel port be used as the interface to the RNG?

The hack has support for a device which can be accessed thru
an IO driver that returns one random byte for each byte read.
(RANDDRIVER).

Would this be adequate for such a device, or would special
code be required? Is the IO driver for the parallel port
that comes with MS-DOS OK for this purpose?

Has anyone out there built such a device?

Yours in anonymity
XXX