Another Anti-Clipper Resolution

Dave Banisar banisar at washofc.cpsr.org
Sun Apr 10 19:36:45 PDT 1994

I found this on the Public_Keys forum on Fidonet..

-dave

Subject: Clipper/Telephony Big Bro Resolution
To: All
From: David Treibs
Date: 3/26/94 6:07:02 PM
The following was passed as a resolution for the Republican convention in
Senatorial District 19 of Uvalde county, Texas. I will attempt to get it
adopted at the state level also.

ENCRYPTION/GOVERNMENT MONITORING (BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU)

Whereas, government is increasingly intruding into the private matters
of its citizens,

And, an example of this intrusion is Clinton's Clipper/Skipjack
encryption chip, which would allow the government easy access to all
private and corporate electronic communications by telephone, computer,
etc.,

And, a further example is the government's push to force all
communications providers to leave a "back door" through which the
government could easily monitor all communications,

And, it is a trait only of despotic governments to scrutinize the
private communications of its citizens,

Resolved, we urge that the Clipper/Skipjack scheme be dropped and the
Digital Telephony Act killed, that private communications and encryption
be allowed to flourish without government "back doors," and we urge our
government to give up the idea that we the people are guilty of
something and must be monitored.

--- Maximus/2 2.01wb
 * Origin: Frank's Station (1:19/148)