MacPGP and AOL

Pat Farrell pfarrell at netcom.com
Sun Apr 10 15:27:01 PDT 1994

> AOL will not allow me to upload MacPGP on the basis that there is
> a  court case pending against the author, and therefore it should not be
> allowed. My question is since the court case is pending why can't they
> allow it on  until a verdict has been reached?  Is this common for
> commercial online services or ftp sites to ban it?

Jim Bodzos of RSA has a simple plan that goes roughly like this: if you
make money off of RSA, he makes money. CompuServ pulled PGP a long time
ago, way before PRZ's lawsuit, because they were the only ones making money
off PGP in the country -- all those $$ for download fees. EFF had it in
their forum, as did several others, all were pulled.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell at gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>