REMAIL: pseudo-account remailer @andrew gains anonymous feature

Matthew J Ghio mg5n+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Apr 9 18:18:32 PDT 1994

Ryan A. Perkins wrote:

> >An encrypted reply address is created for the sender of the anonymous
message.

> What happens if I already have an encrypted reply address? What happens
> if I already have SIX encrypted reply addresses? Which one is used?
> Or is *another* one created?

Another one is created, since no records are kept of what addresses you
already have.

I am somewhat unsure of what to do in this situation.  As I have it set
up now, it will always create the same address for replies (but you can
still get as many different ones as you like from mg5n+getid at andrew...)
so if you send two messages to mg5n+anxxx... addresses, they will both
have the same reply address.  I could change this and have it create
different ones each time, which would preserve anonymnity better, but
this could lead to confusion when replying to messages, because it'd be
difficult to tell if two messages came from the same person or not.  I
suppose a more complicated system could be set up where the users would
specify which reply address they wanted to use, or where replying to a
certain address would always allocate the same reply-id.  Any
suggestions?