New ID technique: warning of things to come

Linn Stanton lstanton at lehman.com
Thu Apr 7 07:36:39 PDT 1994

This is a little off-topic, but it does apply to authentication...

I have been abroad for the past few weeks. In the course of my travels, I
was given some data about a new program that the US Dept. of State/Customs
and Immigration people are moving into limited testing at JFK and LAX.

They want to implement a "fast, positive identification system to speed
processing of entrants to the United States by use of biometric data."
The system works by use of a handprint scanner, and a smart card.
Participants would go through an initial hand scan, and then be issued
a smartcard. Upon subsequent entries to the US, instead of going through
the normal passport check, you would place your hand on a scanner and insert
your card in the slot. The system would then positively identify you, and
clear you for entry.

I have no details about the format/security of the card data, and the INS
guy I spoke to made no statements about privacy, security or other uses
of their ID database.

If this takes off, the risks of it spreading to a national ID card, or to
the 'healthcare card' are obvious.

Linn H. Stanton <stanton at acm.org>

The above opinions are exclusively my own. If anyone else wants them,
they can buy them from me. Easy terms can be arranged.