PHILIP ZIMMERMAN ARRESTED [NOT!]

Patrick Oonk kafka at desert.hacktic.nl
Tue Apr 5 16:31:50 PDT 1994

In article <m0pneHy-0001W9C at ideath>, you write the following:

GR> > The Zimmerman prank---I'm sure not funny for him---hardens my line
GR> > further against anonymity online.  At its best, as here, it is an
GR> > unholy nuisance.
GR>
GR> Interesting. The recent thread on alt.security re someone who mentioned
GR> thoughts of suicide on Usenet and was held for 48 hours' psychiatric
GR> evaluation hardens my line in favor of anonymity online.

    [stuff deleted]

GR> How will we stop folks from setting up accounts with names other than
GR> their "real names" .. or from stealing others' accounts .. or from
GR> forging mail? A $1000 PC can run Linux and SLIP and look to the rest of
GR> the net like any other IP-connected site; how will we enforce our rules
GR> on those systems?

You can run slip on a $200 vintage IBM-AT.

    Patrick :)

---
"In a Time/CNN poll of 1,000 Americans conducted last week by Yankelovich
Partners, two-thirds said it was more important to protect the privacy of
phone calls than to preserve the ability of police to conduct wiretaps.
When informed about the Clipper Chip, 80% said they opposed it."
- Philip Elmer-Dewitt, "Who Should Keep the Keys", TIME, Mar. 4 1994

== To get PGP, FTP /pub/unix/security/crypt/pgp23A.zip from ftp.funet.fi ==