THOUGHT: Internation

Blanc Weber blancw at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 4 20:22:52 PDT 1994

From: Jamie Lawrence:

"Well, I guess we concieve of the meaning of the phrase "'right' to a job"
somewhat differently. I see it as meaning everyone has the oppurtunity to
earn a living."

Except that you didn't say that, you said 'right to a job'.  To me that
means that there is a job in existence to which I have a right, or that
one should be created for me so that I may be the beneficiary of it.

"I also don't know that I think my job has
anything to do with my purpose in life- If someone can find that to be the
case, great, but otherwise it is just a way to stay alive while they are
looking for the real thing, so to speak."

Your basic purpose in life could be simply to maintain it while you or
someone else figures out what it's for.  Maintaining a life requires
work, which is what a job is and does.  The reference to a 'right' to a
job is usually intended to mean that it should be provided, not just
that the opportunity should exist.  But in fact, no one is required to
maintain another's particular existence; especially if they impress as
being a purposeless being with no particular reason for being assisted
in the maintenance of their purposeless life (i.e. there being no
reason to be even *moved* to provide them with a job).

It has been pointed out in my readings, that the Constitution makes a
case for the *pursuit* of one's interest, to emphasize that it should
not be hampered or prevented, but that it makes no case for the
provision of that particular thing which one would pursue (like a house
or a job).

"I suppose I look at the alternative- that people don't have the right to
earn a living, that doing so is a priviledge. How easy is it to get by
without a job in this country? It can be done, but it sucks."

People don't really have a right to do anything, yet they have the
given means and a whole world & beyond, with which to do most of what
they can imagine or anything they can manage.  It's easy, when you know how.

Blanc