Left, Right, Up, Down--Libertarian Ideas

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Fri Apr 1 19:19:03 PST 1994

Gary Jeffers writes:

> conservative  liberal  fascist  left-wing  right-wing  statist
> minarchist  anarchist
>
> SOME DEFINITIONS
>
>    In the U.S. it is almost impossible to talk sensibly about politics
> since no one knows the definitions of political orientations. For
> instance: what is a conservative? Someone who resists change; someone

>    There does not seem to be any name for left wing
> minarchists /or anarchists or right wing minarchists /or anarchists.
> This list seems to have a lot of left & right wing
> minarchists & anarchists. I am a right wing anarchist.
>
>    Strange that right wing & left wing are not bluntly defined. A taboo
> maybe or doesn't the ruling class want the political discussions to
> make any sense? Maybe if it were made explicit, then the left & right
> would think they could be left & right & yet, not support the state.

Check out the "Nolan Chart," which is a fairly common classification
in _two_ dimensions. Libertarians often use it to recruit members, by
showing that the views of people they ask ("Do you favor legalizing
drugs?" etc.) are often more similar to the libertarian position than
to others.

I don't have an ASCII version handy, but maybe someone here does.

In fairness to my left-leaning friends (Dave Mandl as a good example),
the questions in the Nolan Chart test are designed to make almost
anyone appear to be a libertarian.

I could phrase the same points differently and make anyone appear to
be a statist. For example: "Do you believe shops should be allowed to
refuse service to blacks?"

Now I happen to believe the answer is "yes." But then I understand the
market effects, the basic rights, etc. (I also believe airlines can
set weight limits, or any other limits, on its stewardesses, that gyms
can be "men only" if they wish, that this list can kick off anyone
they (the anonymous "they") wish, and so on.)

My point is that the left-right classification has in fact been
improved upon. Encouragingly, very few arguments on this list revolve
around conventional left-right distinctions.

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero