misc crypto stuff

mycal (voices through your head @ 88.1MHz) mike at NetAcsys.com
Thu Sep 30 16:02:27 PDT 1993

On Thu, 30 Sep 93 18:33:08 GMT, "J. Eric Townsend" <jet at netcom.com> wrote:
> "mycal (voices through your head @ 88.1MHz)" writes:
>> [my prediction deleted]
>
> Already happened.  The fellow used something like PGP, if not PGP, to
> encrypt stuff to disk.  If I remember correctly (Mike G., help me out
> here) he was asked to cough up the passwords in court as part of the
> legal proceedings. (I remember this only because of the following
> discussion of 'can a court make me give out my passwords?)  No call
> for banning of encryption by The Media(tm).

Yes but if this is true it still was an isolated case, was they guy sending
stuff to other ppl encrypted?  Was he receiveing porn from over seas? Or
was he just protecting his personal notes?

The Media and the sheep, i mean ppl, wouldn't be moved to take a hard
position if it is just one guy protecting his diary, even if it contained
lots of evidance. But give them a network of child porno guys, and a well
done under cover operation that gives just enough information that
uncrackable crypto was used and that the police were lucky in catching
these guys with inside info and that there are many encrypted messages
flowing in and out, and throughout the US that could be pornographers just
like these guys, or worse, and the police are powerless to do anything,
even if they suspect wrong doing.  Just watch the Media jump all over
this one.

mycal