FIDOnet encryption (or lack thereof)

Just-in-time terraforming 30-Sep-1993 1008 yerazunis at aidev.enet.dec.com
Thu Sep 30 07:11:54 PDT 1993

>Mike, Please advise the sender of this message that I DO NOT allow
>encrypted mail to pass thru this system. I expect folks to abide by this
>rule voluntarily...
>
>I would hate to have to block all messages from this source becuase
>someone wishes to violate my policy :)
>
>BTW, the debate about "encrypted" mail with me is MOOT...  I will not vary
>from my position... (just thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to
>try to convince me it is OK to allow encrypted mail...) please have the
>other person send encrypted mail directly to your machine...

Heh.  OK.  Well, if one behaves "ethically", then I guess *that* closes
the issue.  It's his machine and he gets to make the rules.  (this is
my personally-adhered-to point of view)

On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have protected himself against
steganographic users (though the low bandwidth of steganography compared
to obvious encryption may make the steg channel less useful).  Others
may choose to take this point of view- but it's your karma.

	-Bill