Disturbing statistics on wiretaps

Mike Godwin mnemonic at eff.org
Wed Sep 29 10:31:46 PDT 1993

Matt Blaze writes:

> Out of curiousity, what's "wire communication" for the purpose of this
> statute?  How does that differ from electronic communication (other than,
> perhaps, non-voice data traffic sent via cellular telephone)?

Rather than type in the lengthy definition sections, which refer to each
other, let me just say that a "wire communication" includes an "aural
transfer"--that is, a human voice. An "electronic communication" may use
the phone lines, but the definition excludes anything that qualifies as a
"wire or oral communication". See 18 USC 2510 (12)(B).

The definition of "wire communication" is 18 USC 2510 (1).
The definition of "electronic communication" is 18 USC 2510 (12).
The definition of "aural transfer" is 18 USC 2510 (18).

--Mike