Clipper and Crayolas

Anonymous nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Sat Sep 25 14:30:53 PDT 1993

On Sat, 25 Sep 1993 12:17:32 -0700 (MDT),
 <uunet!VIS.ColoState.EDU!nate> wrote -

> I seem to remember there being a picture of the clipper chip
> in Popular Science or something.... does anyone remember
> where this picture is?

I know this is not what you're looking for, but I'm in a very
strange mood today:

Date: Mon, 19 Apr 93 9:21:53 EDT
Subject: Slide presented at White House briefing on Clipper Chip

Note:     The following material was handed out a press briefing on the
          Clipper Chip on 4/16.

                              Chip Operation

                         Microchip
User's Message      +----------------------+
------------------> |                      |      1.  Message encrypted
                    | Encryption Algorithm |          with user's key
                    |                      |
                    | Serial #             |      2.  User's key encrypted
                    |                      |-->       with chip unique key
                    | Chip Unique Key      |
User's Encryption   |                      |      3.  Serial # encrypted
Key                 | Chip Family Key      |          with chip family key
------------------> |                      |
                    |                      |
                    +----------------------+

              For Law Enforcement to Read a Suspect's Message

1.  Need to obtain court authorized warrant to tap the suspect's telephone.

2.  Record encrypted message

3.  Use chip family key to decrypt chip serial number

4.  Take this serial number *and* court order to custodians
    of disks A and B

5.  Add the A and B components for that serial number = the chip
    unique key for the suspect user

6.  Use this key to decrypt the user's message key for
    this recorded message

7.  Finally, use this message key to decrypt the recorded message.