Why RSA?

Ed Carp khijol!erc at apple.com
Tue Sep 21 13:56:35 PDT 1993

> Derek Zahn says:
> >
> > Is there some reason that we shouldn't pick a different
> > public key encryption algorithm than RSA to use as a
> > freely-available standard?  The PGP docs imply that "almost"
> > all practical such schemes are patented, implying that
> > some are not.
>
> All are patented in so far as one of the patents covers ALL public key
> schemes. Some, like Rabin's scheme, have possible technical advantages
> over RSA.

How about that public key scheme they came up with in Australia a while
back?  And why should RSA's patent be so construed as to cover ALL public
key schemes?  Because Jim Bidzos says so?
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG			erc at apple.com			510/659-9560
                            anon-0001 at khijol.uucp
If you want magic, let go of your armor.  Magic is so much stronger than
steel!        -- Richard Bach, "The Bridge Across Forever"