REMAIL: policy

Scott Collins catalyst at netcom.com
Tue Sep 21 13:51:35 PDT 1993

What follows is the policy for the remailer running at catalyst at netcom.com
as of 21 Sept 1993:

  - 1 -  I don't normally keep logs because (a) I lack the time to examine
         them; (b) I lack the space to keep them; and (c) frankly, I would
         rather _not_ know.  If some exceptional situation requires it, I
         will temporarily log to resolve that situation.

  - 2 -  I will block remailing to a given address on request and proof of
         identity by the owner.  I run a remailer because I believe privacy
         is an inaliable human right.  However, "Your right to swing your
         fist ends where my nose begins!".  I will not condone, promote or
         aid the violation of other human rights in the name of privacy.
         Because I don't keep logs, I can do no more than block (nor would
         I wish to), although, see - 1 -.

  - 3 -  I do not own the machine my remailer is running on.  In fact it is
         a commercial system.  Be nice.  If they ask me to stop running my
         remailer on their system... I will.  Additionally, you implicitly
         accept all the risks associated with trusting somebody elses machine.

  - 4 -  I don't read mail that goes through my remailer _BUT_ it is my
         personal account, and personal mail addressed to me passes through it,
         therefore, if a message doesn't look like it contains remailer
         commands, the remailer assumes it must be to me and I get it.

         I read all mail that is addressed to me.  The consequence is that
         poorly addressed messages intended to be remailed will be read by me.
         I will throw these messages away without responding, correcting, or
         forwarding them, as soon as I realize they were to have been remailed.
         Be aware that this can happen.  I'm sure there is some threshold
         beyond which the content would force me to action in some way.  What
         the content, threshold and possible actions are, I do not know.

         Protect yourself from this result by using multiple remailers and
         encrypting at each stage.

  - 5 -  I am an engineer.  I like to play.  I probably cannot stop myself
         from constantly tweaking and growing the remailer code.  It is,
         after all, an expermental system.  The remailer you use today may
         not be the same one you get tomorrow.

  - 6 -  I am a human being and suffer from all the associated frailties.
         When someone points a gun (actually or metaphorically) at me or my
         family, I must almost certainly comply with that entities wishes.
         I do NOT advocate law breaking and will comply with the law to the
         extent required and enforced; e.g., if the FBI comes to my door and
         says: "start logging your remailer, or shut it down" ("shut it down"
         might only be inferred <and, _no_, I didn't mean 'implied'>), then
         it is likely that I will comply to the extent required and enforced.

  - 7 -  As with my kids: I reserve the right to change the rules at any time
         and for any reason; though I seldom exercise this right to explicitly
         revoke previously explicitly granted freedoms.

  - 8 -  I run this remailer as a personal activity.  It is in no way
         associated with my place of employment, my employer or the activities
         I engage in on the behalf of my employer.  I run it out of a personal
         account on a commercial system that I pay for with my own money.  If
         you have problems with the remailer, please talk to me first.  If we
         can't resolve it, of course you can always report it to NetCom.

  - 9 -  Finally, be aware that I am not _providing_ privacy.  I am allowing
         it.  That is, _you_ are the caretaker of your rights and must actively
         seek to protect them.  I will help, but that is all I can do.  If
         you wish to protect your privacy, I urge you to learn how and why
         these remailers (and other associated tools) work so that you can use
         them to the best advantage.

Scott Collins         | "Few people realize what tremendous power there
                      |  is in one of these things."     -- Willy Wonka
BUSINESS.   voice:408.862.0540  fax:974.6094   collins at newton.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.   5 Infinite Loop, MS 305-2B   Cupertino, CA 95014
PERSONAL.   voice/fax:408.257.1746    1024:669687   catalyst at netcom.com