Master Key: A Clipper Story

Marc Horowitz marc at GZA.COM
Tue Sep 21 13:30:09 PDT 1993

>> An editor might tighten up "Infocalypse"'s writing, and the whole idea
>> that Skipjack will fall to genetic programming techniques seems to be
>> a reach. But who knows....the truth is often stranger than fiction.

It was once said to me by a writer friend that the key to good science
fiction is to choose one absurdity, and build logically on that.
Consider that faster-than-light travel is an absurdity today.  That
doesn't stop good SF from being based on it. That's what makes it
"fiction" after all.  The point of the story is that if Key Escrow
falls, the results could be catastrophic.  How it falls is a plot
device; the technical merit is not of intrinsic importance.

>> Well done!

I agree!

		Marc