remailer ideas

L. Detweiler ld231782 at longs.lance.colostate.edu
Tue Sep 21 00:42:55 PDT 1993

T.C. May requests information on operator's remailer policies. I would
like to go a step further and suggest that *all* operators
*standardize* on a single email address for policy queries, in
ping-like fashion. the user just sends mail to policies at remailer.com
and gets back the policies. Of course, maybe that's not the best name,
because some names are fixed. So maybe a standard header field request syntax.

This sheet returned should include all the information about headers
and cryptographic use, too. I would like it to have *standard headings*
across remailers. That is, it would list categories and the variations
that the particular remailer implements. His list of points is a good
place to start of policy headings. Off the top of my head -

remailer address
header syntax
how to cut and paste headers
pitfalls
cryptography support
additional features
oversight & logging

etc.

I'd also like some *history* of the remailer. Whose code is it based
on? what modifications have been added? how reliable is it? -- even a
standard `uptime field' or `% lost messages' would be interesting. are
there any `close calls' in shutting it down? what kind of support does
the operator enjoy? (e.g. sysadmin, student acct, etc.)

If anyone would like to come up with a comprehensive `boilerplate'
document, that'd certainly be useful.

I think all this could increase the `userfriendliness' of the remailers
and ultimately there use signficantly. just a humble suggestion from a
fellow cypherpunk.