Bidzos on PGP and ITAR verbatim

L. Detweiler ld231782 at longs.lance.colostate.edu
Mon Sep 20 22:36:23 PDT 1993

Bidzos comments on PGP related to ITAR, from sci.crypt a while ago (not
sure of date). Essential argument: it was illegally exported, and ITAR
prohibits re entry of things illegally exported, therefore it is
illegally imported. Relevant section, Software export: Section 123.2 of
the ITAR reads:

>"123.2 Imports.
>
>No defense article may be imported into the United States unless (a)
>it was previously exported temporarily under a license issued by the
>Office of Munitions Control; or (b) it constitutes a temporary
>import/intransit shipment licensed under Section 123.3; or (c) its
>import is authorized by the Department of the Treasury (see 27 CFR
>parts 47, 178, and 179)."

There is a section on `illegal export of unclassified technical data to
foreign nationals' (paraphrase) and Bidzos claims it applies to PGP
export. But he appears to me to be using a bit of sleight of hand to
conflate this category with *cryptographic software* mentioned
elsewhere (sections also as quoted also by H. Finney).

I'll let others pick it apart for the loopholes.

===cut=here===