your mail

nobody at soda.berkeley.edu nobody at soda.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 20 16:31:17 PDT 1993

What do you put in the Subject: line of an encrypted or anonymous
message?

We need something standard to prevent traffic analysis on this field.

My suggestion is always to put "Subject: Re: your mail", since so much
mail already has that, due to a feature of the popular mailer elm.

If there is no standard, one could correlate Subject: patterns with
people.

Notice this message has been sent through "fmt" (and almost through
"spell") to remove more nuances.  Next we need an
English-to-bland-English translator that smooths over individual
language features (unless you're practicing stegonagraphy, then you
want one that inserts them!)