META: list topicality

Eric Hughes hughes
Mon Sep 20 11:59:57 PDT 1993

I just received this unsubscribe note here on toad.com.

>Noise to signal ratio is worse than sci.crypt. Please unsubscribe me.

I, personally, am getting tired of worthwhile people unsubscribing
from the list because the impropriety of others.

Recommendations:

1.  Send more private e-mail.  Keep your flames of _all_ types off the
list.

2.  If something offends you, _do_ respond, and only in private.  I
have the suspicion that certain members of the list are not receiving
enough hostile email in response to inappropriate postings.  We want
more negative and postive reinforcement.

3.  This is not a list for paranoids.  Shut up here and go somewhere
else.  If enough people tell you you're paranoid, then it is likely
that you _are_ paranoid.

4.  Do not immediately reply to postings.  Wait, be thoughtful, and
make sure you're not going to make an ass out of yourself.  And to be
sure, there are some asses being made on this list.

5.  Exercise restraint.  If you must make a response to something,
first make sure it shouldn't go in private email.

Eric