meaningless rumor

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 20 11:16:13 PDT 1993

> Wait a minute.  Does ITAR actuall prohibit importing crypto _to_
> the US? I've never heard of it being used this way.

Most of the interpretation that I have heard, including an
interpretation from Jim Bidzos, say that crypto imports _INTO_ the US
are LEGAL, unless that piece of crypto was *illegally* exported from
the US first.

So, if A was illegally exported, you cannot import it and expect it to
be legal.  However, if it was developed outside the US, you can
legally bring it into the US, according to this interpretation.

David Sternlight has a different opinion.  (Which I'm sure he'd gladly
fill you mailbox explaining :-).

-derek

         Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, G MIT Media Laboratory
     Secretary, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
         PGP key available from pgp-public-keys at pgp.mit.edu
            warlord at MIT.EDU       PP-ASEL        N1NWH