Encrypted logins?

Perry E. Metzger pmetzger at lehman.com
Mon Sep 20 08:57:12 PDT 1993

Forrest Aldrich says:
> Is there a way to set up an encrypted login session, whereby the calling
> program would need a 'key' in order to decrypt the connection to even
> see the 'login: ' prompt?

There are many such systems. I suppose the kerberos suite's "klogin"
is the most popular these days, and options were being defined in
telnet to allow end to end encryption, though I don't know where
they've gotten to at this point.

> I thought I saw something like this for the
> ham-radio enthusiasts.  It uses plain-DES to do the work.  But this would
> require that your calling program be some type of comm prog with the
> decryption/encryption abilities within.

Of course it would require a special communications program on both
ends -- there is no other way to do it.

Perry