meaningless rumor

Matt Blaze mab at crypto.com
Mon Sep 20 06:06:05 PDT 1993

>they may throw in charges of importing IDEA, though I doubt that they'd
>indict just on those grounds; in an era of key escrow, they'd certainly
>like a court to rule they had the power to exclude subversive foreign
>crypto....
>		--Steve Bellovin

Steve,

Assuming that whoevever implemented PGP did not himself import the cipher, but
based the implementation on the EUROCRYPT '90 paper that was 'imported'
by Springer-Verlag, I don't understand what the basis would be for such a
charge.  Now an indictment against Springer for shipping the proceedings
(which contained C source code for IDEA) into the US - that would be
interesting...

-matt