analysis: attack PKP driven? significance of June 1, 1991

Perry E. Metzger pmetzger at lehman.com
Sat Sep 18 21:41:39 PDT 1993

"L. Detweiler" says:

> C'punks: upon further reflection this dual assault seems to be ostensibly PKP
> motivated/driven.  It is possible the prior NSA harassment of Moby Crypto was
> just a shocking coincidence.

Why all this silly speculation? We will all know the complete answers
soon enough. There is no need for us to reach out and "investigate".
There are lots of better uses of our time. Cypherpunks CODE, remember?
Go out and code or give radio interviews. Trying to second guess facts
that we will soon have directly in our hands seems unnecessary.

> We need more information:
>
> - how long has the NSA been harassing Austin Code Works?
> - does Austin Code works currently deal with cryptographic code?
> - or is this all entirely due to Grady Ward's Moby Crypto project?
> - was NSA complaining about (1) DES or (2) something else? export?
> - how did NSA find out that Austin Code Works was involved with Moby Crypto?

"We" need no information. We are not the attorneys. EFF and the rest
are involved and have fine lawyers and investigators. Anything "We"
uncover will be useful only for personal amusement. "We" don't even
have our facts right -- the "NSA" has not been directly harassing
ANYONE. Although we may speculate with some likely accuracy that the
NSA has been involved, it is the Commerce and State departments that
enforce the crypto export laws.

I'd calm down, Mr. Detweiler. Write some code -- its a productive
persuit.

Perry