gopher links

strick -- henry strickland strick at versant.com
Sat Sep 18 21:39:42 PDT 1993

<root> writes to me:
# strick wrote:
# > (Just for the halibut I tried "gopher gopher.uu.net" and
# > "gopher ftp.uu.net" but no dice.  If you were using WWW instead
# > of gopher, you could link "ftp://ftp.uu.net/inet/rfc/rfc1321".)
#
# Gopher can link to ftp directly without the destination being served by a
# gopher server.  RT*M: (p.s. I have no idea why they call them "cool" links)

Actually, I have RT*Protocols, but the original protocols, not the one
you describe here.

Come to think of it, it looks like this is executed by the gopher
server, since it also has a "exec" option.  Not so efficient for ftp,
but the old client-server protocol would still work.

Karl, if this works with your gopherd, you should abuse it ...    strick

# GOPHERD(8)
#
#
#    ADDING COOL LINKS
#        One cool thing you can do with .Links is to add neato ser-
#        vices to your gopher server.  Adding a link like this:
#
#            Name=Cool ftp directory
#            Type=1
#            Path=ftp:hostname at path/
#            Host=+
#            Port=+
#
#            Name=Cool ftp file
#            Type=0
#            Path=ftp:hostname at file
#            Host=+
#            Port=+
#
#        Will  allow  you to link in any ftp site into your gopher.
#        Make sure that there is a  /tmp  directory  to  store  the
#        files  for the gateway.  Note that if you're running with-
#        out the -c option, you must create a  "tmp"  directory  at
#        the top level of the gopher-data directory.
#
#        Another neat thing you can do is to execute shell scripts:
#
#            Name=Execed command name
#            Type={a type}
#            Path=exec:"args":/scriptname
#            Host=+
#            Port=+
#
#        This is usually used by other types  of  gateway  scripts.
#        For instance, The first script might take a search and get
#        a few hits.  It could then generate  "exec"  scripts  that
#        would retrieve the actual document the hit referred to.
#
#        Note that the scriptname *must* begin with the magic char-
#        acter "#!/".  It also must be executable.
#