Odds and Ends (Books) (fwd)Re: Books: wanted to buy

Anonymous nowhere at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Wed Sep 15 18:49:15 PDT 1993

In article p00122 at psilink.com, "BSW Gateway" <p00122 at psilink.com> () writes:
>I am searching for two out-of-print books. I would like to purchase one
>copy each in reasonably good condition. If you have either and are willing
>to part with it, please contact me by email. Thanks.
>
>Tutorial: The Security of Data in Networks
>by Davies
>IEEE Computer Society Press, 1981
>
>Kahn on Codes
>by Kahn
>Macmillan, 1983
>
>Note: the second book is NOT "The Codebreakers" but a later book by Kahn.

        I tried e-mail but the message is bouncing around like a
        kangaroo on certain controlled substances.  The following is
        a list of bookstores dealing, more or less specifically with
        espionage and intelligence and include some coverage of
        crypto.  My recommendation for the first title would be
        to try Elm.  If you contact C&D, ELM, or NIBC, mentioning
        my name _might_ help.

        Alec Chambers

        Cloak and Dagger Books,
        9 Eastman Avenue
        Bedford, NH 03110-6701

        Phone: (603) 668-1629 (evenings)

        Proprietor: Dan Halpin Jr.

        Dealer in out of print and rare books relating to nonfiction
        espionage, crypto, terrorism and partisan and guerilla warfare.
        Stocks more than 10,000 books and will do searches.  Dan is
        extraordinarily amiable and helpful, but does ask that you send
        $2.50 for a catalog.  I have dealt happily with him for some
        time.

        Elm Spy Books,
        P.O.Box 9753
        Arnold, MD 21012

        Phone: (301) 544-9014.

        Proprietor: Emil Levine

        Has a coverage similar to Cloak and Dagger, but is interested
        in specializing in crypto (he's not too far from Ft. George
        mmmmmmmfff...).  Another helpful individual with whom I have
        dealt.  Catalog costs $2.00.

        Military Bookman,
        29 East 93rd Street
        New York, NY 10128.

        Mail Order (212) 348-1280

        Large collection of military titles, including military
        intelligence.  Catalogs available

        National Intelligence Book Center,
        1700 K Street NW, Suite 607
        Washington DC

        Phone: (202) 785-4334
        FAX:   (202) 331-7456
        e-mail: 70346.1166 at COMPUSERVE.COM

        Publishes an annotated, bimonthly publication, Surveillant:
        Acquisitions for the Intelligence and Security Professional,
        listing new books, paperback editions, foreign language titles,
        US government documents on intelligence, video, and audio
        tapes, forthcoming books and works in progress, and news and events.
        Annual subscription is $96 in the U.S.  The Book Center will also
        compile bibliographies on _specific_ intelligence on request.
        All sales are now conducted through Olsson's Books,
        1200 F Street, NW, Washington DC 20004 (202) 337-8084.

        Q.M.Dabney&Co.,
        11910-P Parklawn Drive,
        Rockville, MD 20852
        Phone (301) 881-1470

        Very large military collection with some intelligence titles.
        Carries only out-of-print books.  Not a browsing bookstores,
        phone orders only, catalogs available.  I have dealt happily
        with them for years although they are SLOW on actually sending
        the stuff out.

        Ruth Koffsky Books,
        5515 Greystone Street,
        Chevy Chase, MD 20815

        Phone: (301) 656-5587

        Specializes in ex-library and reader's copies of works on
        intelligence, politics, and world affairs.  Open by appointment
        only or by mail.  Upon request will send a list of titles on
        a very specific topic.

        Sidney Kramer Books,
        1825 I Street, NW
        Washington, DC 20006.

        Mail order: (202) 293-2685
        Fax:        (202) 835-9756

        Large collection of intelligence-related titles in sections on
        "intelligence," "military affairs," and "regional studies."
        Offers catalogs and will special order.

        Sky Books,
        48 E. 50th Street,
        Second Floor,
        New York, NY 10022

        Mail Order: (212) 688-5086.

        Large selection of titles on military intelligence and espionage.
        Offers book club with selection of intelligence titles.