The "Cypherpunk Melti

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Tue Sep 14 08:39:00 PDT 1993

M >I have a real problem with the attempted marriage of anarchy and the
M >Bill of Rights.  I'm interested in the issue of privacy not because I
M >want to screw our government out of my taxes, but because I want to
M >have the ability to communicate with any of you in private.

You should be aware of the possible results of your actions, however.  A
market is a place where traders meet and trade.  It involves
communications and transfer.  When governments intervene in markets, they
do so by preventing these communications and transfers.

When it becomes technically possible to exclude anyone you like (including
the government) from your communications and transfers of non-physical
goods and services, you have a free market.  Once these traders start
trading a higher and higher proportion of the world's goods and
services in this free market, government monopoly market controls are
broken.  The world's governments become mere market actors like everyone
else.  They lose sovereignty.  They can no longer govern (an
ever-expanding
portion of human activity).  They are no longer governments.

All from the simple ability to reliably communicate with total privacy.

Duncan Frissell

What is the world's most hazardous toxic waste dump?

Highgate Cemetery in North London.  Why?  See next Post for the answer.

--- WinQwk 2.0b#0