The "Cypherpunk Melting Pot"

Geoff White geoffw at nexsys.net
Mon Sep 13 12:49:41 PDT 1993

> Anonymous says:
> > Bullshit. Privacy is not inherently subversive at all. If you
> > take the time to browse back through the Bill of Rights, you might
> > recognize this paragraph -
> >
> >                      ARTICLE IV
> >
> >     The right of the people to be secure in their persons,
> > houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and
> > seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but
> > upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and
> > particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or
> > things to be seized.
>
> I'll point out something about the history of that line most people
> forget.
>
> Our fine nation was founded by drug smugglers. The drug in question
> was Rum, admittedly, but none the less, the point remains -- the
> revolutionary war was financed by big time criminals like John Hancock
> who made their money in smuggling contraband and other similar acts.
> They made sure that the constitution they got was supportive of their
> particular business interests. History teachers don't like pointing
> this sort of thing out, but its none the less true.

My "social studies" teacher from 7 - 9th grade, Mr. Codianni made sure we knew
this! (This was around 1968/69 so the System was being stress on all ends)
We had a textbook for american history that was made up completely of primary
and secondary sources.  It was obvious to me early on that the main reasons
for the american revolution were economic as opposed to some overwhelming
altruism. All of the founding fathers had a lot at stake but would also
make a bundle if they could just get rid of that middleman (King George III)