JEROME SCHNEIDER

Sandy 72114.1712 at CompuServe.COM
Fri Sep 3 22:25:35 PDT 1993

  SANDY SANDFORT               Reply to:  ssandfort at attmail.com
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Punksters,

Just a few comments about Jerome Schneider.  In addition to the
piece in /Fortune/ magazine, there was also a segment done on him
by "60 Minutes."  During that show he did an impromptu telephone
hack for the "60 Minutes" interviewer.  At the end of the segment
when Schneider asked if he had gone straight, he answered "yes."
But when he was asked how we could be sure of that, he replied,
"you can't."  Such a kidder.

Contrary to the mythologized version of his computer crime
career, Schneider was not that technically competent.  What he
was good at was bribing telco employees to get equipment ordering
access codes and other inside information.

Because he was a juvenile when he committed his computer crimes,
he was able to have his record expunged.  He gets mad when anyone
brings up his criminal record, because, by law, he no longer has
a criminal "record."

I met Schneider a few years back when he was in the business of
selling offshore brass-plate banks.  He was in the process of
burning his bridges with government after government from the
Caribbean to the American Trust Territories.

I gave him a call a few months ago to see if he was still selling
banks through his company WFI.  He said that he was out of that
business.  He has a new company called American National
Securities which is a brokerage firm.  If you buy an offshore
bank, he will be more than happy to clear your trades through his
company.

If Doug Merritt, or anyone else is interested in offshore banking
with a Cypherpunk twist, contact me.  I'm working with several
other Cypherpunks on some projects in that area.

 S a n d y