Words, words, words

wonderer an41418 at anon.penet.fi
Thu Oct 28 10:48:07 PDT 1993

Tyrone Slothrop (RocketMan), you say:

> It's just words; they can't hurt you.

I think many people, nations, reputations, organization,
etc. have been destroyed by "just words." Somewhere I
heard the phrase: "The pen is mightier than the sword."
Words can and do hurt. I believe the practive of flaming
has probably hindered many people's participation and
contribution to discussions on the net.

Some words that can hurt you:
 - death threats
 - "You're fired"
 - "I don't want to see you ever again."
 - "You're ideas are stupid; take them somewhere else."
 - "We see no option but to declare war!"
you get the idea.

Flaming is unproductive.

Wonderer

p.s. I am ashamed; messages will be signed soon. Here's
a detached signature of this message.
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.3

iQBVAgUALM/zPR1kTJuroDD9AQGpVAH/Y7rQ86YcC91Fi19UfyVv607NSwQu063K
c++LRh5Y7D/CrZZNkPkmiE1melwNvXruoLx3dP8w38HacT090/Jx+w==
=aJVa
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help at anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin at anon.penet.fi.