DC-nets, up from the basic concept

Pierre Uszynski pierre at shell.portal.com
Tue Oct 26 15:52:45 PDT 1993

> You could (maaaybe :-( establish the layering:
>
> Coaxial - Ethernet - IP - TCP / Telnet - RFC822 email -
> PEM - DC-net - IP - TCP / Telnet - RFC822 email - PEM

Before somebody takes the above tooooo seriously, I'll add
that it would take major work to modify TCP/IP to function
as the second "TCP/IP" layer in the example above. This is
because TCP/IP relies on dialogs between machines/nets
instead of broadcasts (at least at the internetwork level),
so messages should be traceable back to an inter-DC-net
"table", but could not be traced back to a specific host.

Pierre
pierre at shell.portal.com