A valid, practical point

Paul Ferguson x2044 ferguson at icm1.icp.net
Mon Oct 18 16:22:20 PDT 1993

Hal writes -

> It's ironic that L. Detweiler, who has played a major part in spreading
> awareness of Cypherpunks technology through his widely read Privacy and
> Anonymity FAQ, is suggesting that people should be limited in their
> use of this technology.  Still, the concerns he raises are going to be
> shared by many people, and we should try to be ready with technological
> solutions that are consistent with privacy protection.

.... And THAT is perhaps the most cognizant, practical and lucid
suggestion I have heard to date (not as an aside to those who have
proposed technical solutions, et al).

Let's face it -- the net will do nothing less than become larger, more
accessible, more complex and even easier to spoof, if a cryptographic
stop-gap does not materialize which provides a comfortable buffer for
those desire anonymity and those who are afraid of it.

We can do more than bicker amongst ourselves, cypherzoids.

Paul Ferguson
Mindbank Consulting Group                                    fergp at sytex.com
Fairfax, Virginia  USA                                       ferguson at icp.net