Cypherwaffle on spoofing

Doug Merritt doug at netcom.com
Mon Oct 18 09:17:15 PDT 1993

Arthur Chandler <arthurc at crl.com> said:
>  What I find odd is the number and  vehemence of posts ON A LIST DEVOTED
>TO ENCRYPTION saying "Hey, it's a  fact of life, accept it" -- even
>dragging out Machiavelli's profoundly  mistaken "if you can't enforce
>it,  don't prohibit it."

I don't understand your point. If it really is impossible to prevent
people from creating multiple anonymous identities, what good does it
do for any or all of us to say that we abhor the results? I grant
you that there will be bad effects...but what precisely do you suggest
we do about it?

If you think that people *can* be somehow limited to a single anonymous
identity, you'd best explain how you think so.

If on the other hand you agree that such a limitation can't be enforced,
then I fail to see your point at all.
	Doug