What, Me Worry?

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Mon Oct 18 06:32:14 PDT 1993

I realize that Blacknet debate was eons ago in net time (100 to 1
compression net time vs real time?) but I failed to stick my oar in
because I was trying to cope with the 500 messages accumulated while I
took an innocent weekend off.  (Note to Perry -- Not *everyone* has a
Sparc station at home and at work -- some of us can be swamped).

Aside from contract murder, which shouldn't be much more of a problem than
it is now because most people still won't be worth the powder it takes to
blow them up, I don't expect blackmail and dossier abuse to be more of a
problem on Blacknet than it was, say, in 1925.

Why?  Because there may be fewer grounds for blackmail and the damage
possible to a person's reputation will be greatly reduced because
(to Moderns) reputations are much less important.

If you compare what a blackmailer might have threatened to reveal about a
person in 1925 with what Madonna get's paid millions to do live on stage
before thousands of people, you can see the problem.

After all, it doesn't make much sense for a blackmailer to say to you,
"I'm going to tell everyone that you are the practitioner of an
alternative life style that they are teaching in the schools these days."

Reputation was significant in the past because people were stuck in one
small community for their whole lives and they, their children, and
grandchildren would have to be living with their neighbors for the next
hundred years.  This sort of intimacy with "strangers" ended with the
advance of technology, markets, and mass migration.

The nets can only make this worse as even the strangest individuals can
find a home with their fellow "deviates" somewhere in cyberspace.

With the President a philandering, dope smoking, draft dodger; at least
two cabinet jobs held by homosexuals, the mayor of New York an admitted
tax evader; and the rather straight organiation I contract for giving baby
showers for the single mothers as they go off to reproduce; it is hard to
see many grounds for blackmail.

Dope dealers

--- WinQwk 2.0b#1165