NAFTA event

Jim Thompson jim at Tadpole.COM
Fri Oct 15 11:40:10 PDT 1993

Appologia to those of you who've seen this already.  Carl invites you to
send email.  I'd suggest some verbage about export controls for crypto.

Jim

From: carl at town.hall.org
Subject: White House NAFTA Event
Org: Internet Multicasting Service
Channel: Internet Town Hall

On Wednesday, October 20, the White House is showcasing the
benefits of the North Amercian Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) to
American workers and the American economy.

President Clinton and Vice President Gore will highlight
American-made products which are currently sold in Mexico.
The range of products, and the number of American workers who
make them is enormous and the White House would like to present
to the American public the benefits of increased trade with our
neighbors.

The White House has invited over 200 companies and their employees
to bring their products to the West Lawn of the White House.
Sun Microsystems is one of the companies invited and they
would like to use this opportunity to highlight the computer industry
in general as a crucial technology for our global economy and in
particular to highlight the significant role the Internet will
play in fostering trade in the global marketplace.

Sun Microsystems, in conjunction with several other companies,
will put two Sparcstations on the lawn of the White House.  Using
a Persoft Intersect Remote Bridge wireless 2 Mbps spread-spectrum
radio link, we will link the LAN on the White House lawn to our
facilities in the National Press Building.  That network will in
turn use the MFS Datanet national fiber backbone to link us at 10
Mbps to Alternet, our IP service provider.

The workstations on the White House lawn will feature a variety
of Internet applications such as NCSA Mosaic for X, Gopher, and
other applications that highlight the scope and diversity of the
global Internet computer network.

Here is how you can participate!  Send your electronic mail to:

	nafta at town.hall.org

The mail will be collected and will be available on the screen
as well as being printed out on a laser printer.

Tell the President, the Vice President, members of the Cabinet,
members of the Congress, and the national media what you think
about NAFTA. Help demonstrate to this important audience that
the Internet is an important forum for the discussion of public
affairs.  If you feel the need to flame pro or con on this subject,
feel free to cc: nafta at town.hall.org in your discussions to the list.

For general information on the Internet Multicasting Service,
send mail to info at town.hall.org.